URGENT Message for ALL Somerset Cervical Sample Takers
Somerset Cervical Sample Takers,
We have received some important information from the North Bristol Cervical Screening Laboratory. This information will help to ensure your samples arrive in optimum condition and reduce the likelihood of samples being rejected resulting in women needing to be recalled and inconvenience for both patient and your practice.
1. When placing samples into the orange and white transport bags please ensure that the tops are sealed using the adhesive strip. This protects the patient identity and prevents spillages.
Please ensure they are only used for cervical screening samples.
2. Since the use of ICE stopped for the Somerset population there are a number of nurses who are failing to label the vials at all. These are obviously having to be rejected. Please ensure that all Cervical cytology vials need to be labelled with three patient identifiers – name dob and NHS number. Unlabelled samples are rejected according to the NHSCSP sample rejection policy. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cervical-screening-accepting-samples-in-laboratories
3. Queries regarding sample transport, eligibility for screening and HPV Primary screening please contact the cytology laboratory in North Bristol Tel: 0117 4149889
4. Queries regarding access to Open Exeter please contact PCSE. Information is available on their website: https://pcse.england.nhs.uk/services/open-exeter/
5. Queries regarding sample taker codes/access to sample taker database please contact South Central & West Commissioning Support Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Queries regarding call/recall and ceasing please contact Cervical Screening Administration Service. Information is available on their website: https://www.csas.nhs.uk/support/
7. Queries regarding trainee sample takers please contact your training provider directly.
South West Cytology Training School www.cytology-training.co.uk/
Devon Training Hub www.devontraininghub.co.uk/
Clinical Training Ltd https://www.clinicaltrainingltd.co.uk/
7. If you have a query that cannot be resolved via one of these routes please contact the South West Screening & Immunisation Team: email@example.com
Interim Screening & Immunisation Manager – Cervical Screening & School Aged Immunisations