Somerset LMC Weekly Update Thursday 14th April 2022
Date sent: Thursday 14 April 2022
Sent to all Somerset GPs and Practice Managers This and previous updates are available here
Wishing all our Readers a Very Happy Restful and Well Easter
- PCN DES Discussions
- GPC Contract Webinar 22/23
- Improvements to Benefit Eligibility at the End of Life
- DWP Change to Fit Note – from 6 April 2022
- Ukranians Arriving in the UK
- Mindline and Crisis Safe Space
- MSK Physiotherapy and Podiatry Telephone Numbers
- Earlier Diagnosis of Leukaemia in Community Settings Webinar 27th April 7pm
- Job Vacancies
PCN DES Discussions: Following very constructive discussions today with the Somerset GP Provider Board and Somerset CCG we are confident a local county wide solution will be found. We would like to reassure you this contract does not have to be provided by every PCN or practice and no one will be forced to work over and above their normal working hours. We will share further details with you soon.
GPC Contract Webinar 22/23: Please find the slide decks from the recent webinars here.
The GPC have now published an explainer video explaining what this will mean for practices and guidance about the contract changes to support practices in their decision making and next steps. Both can be found here.
Improvements to Benefit Eligibility at the End of Life: From Monday 4 April 2022, eligibility for the Special Rules changed. These currently apply to people who have 6 months or less to live and will now apply to people who have 12 months or less to live.
From 4 April, two working-age benefits will be impacted by this change. To support people accessing these benefits and to find out more about the new process and medical evidence form, DWP have published this guidance.
DWP Change to Fit Note – from 6 April 2022: On 6 April DWP changed regulations so that fit notes do not require a signature in ink to authorise them. Instead, a new template is being delivered that is authorised by the name of the doctor being included in the form. This means fit notes can be completed, authorised and sent digitally from 6 April. The main points:
- GPs’ names will be automatically captured by their IT systems from their user login
- The exact date the system will be updated depends on your system supplier
- Until the new template is delivered, continue to use the current version, which still requires a signature in ink to be valid
- Until the systems are fully updated both the previous and new versions are legally compliant and employers have been told they must accept both
- If patients are not able to receive the fit note digitally or require a paper copy, then this must be provided (but does not require an ink signature)
- If there are issues then the form can still be completed by hand and authorised by the doctor writing their name, or signing the fit note in the relevant place and will still be legally compliant
- Hospitals will still be using paper fit notes ordered from DWP, but from 6 April this should be on the new template
Read more about these changes on Gov.uk
Ukranians Arriving in the UK: We have pulled together the information shared with practices into one page on the LMC website please see here.
Mindline and Crisis Safe Space: Mindline supports patients with mental health problems, there is a confidential local helpline for everyone in Somerset open 24 hours a day every day. Crisis Safe Space offers one-to-one appointments for residents in Somerset who are really struggling with their mental health, all sessions are run locally in Somerset. Please find two resources available to GP practices:
Crisis Safe Space
MSK Physiotherapy and Podiatry Telephone Numbers: It has come to the Trusts attention that practices may still be using an old number for the booking teams, the teams are now divided and focussed on one team each numbers below.
Podiatry: 01460 247555
Physiotherapy: 01278 436733
Crown Medical Centre, Venture Way, Taunton, TA2 8QY
Tel: (01823) 331 428
Fax: (01823) 338 561
We have updated our privacy policies on both the Somerset LMC and Somerset GP Education trust websites.