Somerset LMC Weekly Update Friday 26th March 2021
Date sent: Friday 26 March 2021
Sent to all Somerset GPs and Practice Managers This and previous updates are available here
- Update on 2021-22 flu ordering
- GP Recruitment event 12th May
- Letter to GPNs from Paula Messenger: Record Keeping in Childhood Immunisation clinics
- General Medical Services (GMS) Ready Reckoner 2021/22 (England)
- Primary care funding 2020/21
- Help patients manage their referral online
- Your Drug Latest Shortages
- Workforce Webinar ARRS 1st April: It’s not too late to book
- Invitation to Advanced Clinical Practitioner Degree Apprenticeship - Introductory session - University of Exeter
Update on 2021-22 flu ordering: People aged 50 to 64 year olds are expected to be included as an eligible cohort for the 2021/22 flu season. The flu reimbursement letter is currently being updated to reflect the inclusion and will be republished imminently. Providers are asked to await the updated flu reimbursement letter for more information.
GP Recruitment event 12th May: Our popular GP recruitment event will be held online on the afternoon of Wednesday 12th May. This event will give GPs and GP Trainees the chance to meet up and talk to a wide variety of Somerset practices all in one place. Registration and participation is free. If you are GP/GP trainee looking for a vacancy in Somerset then please book onto the event here and Somerset practices can book their place to advertise their vacancy here.
General Medical Services (GMS) Ready Reckoner 2021/22 (England): We have been working with NHSE/I on the production of a ready reckoner which has now been published and is intended to provide an indication of the changes in income streams that may affect a GMS practice and primary care network (PCN) from 1 April 2021.
Implementing the 2021/22 GP contract changes to personal medical services and alternative provider medical services contracts (England)
NHSE/I have published this document which sets out the approach to the funding changes that we will apply to Personal Medical Services (PMS) and Alternative Provider Medical Services (APMS) contracts. Commissioners will update local PMS and APMS contracts as soon as possible, applying the funding changes identified in this guidance with effect from 1 April 2021.
Primary care funding 2020/21: Wessex LMCs have kindly shared an excel spreadsheet collating all the details of funding, this has been recently updated to include the £120M support available from April 2021 you may download here
Help patients manage their referral online: GPs and practice staff can now email referral booking information to patients who have an NHS login and patients can directly manage their first hospital or clinic appointment with a specialist through the NHS e-Referral service (e-RS) in the NHS App. Other new features are being added to the app through which people can already book GP appointments, order repeat prescriptions and securely access their medical record.
Depending on which systems they use at their GP practice, people can also:
- message their GP surgery, doctor or health professional online
- consult a GP or health professional through an online form and get a reply
- access health services on behalf of someone they care for (proxy access)
- view useful links their doctor or health professional has shared with them
You can find out more about this new functionality and how to use it and view this short video that explains the benefits for staff and patients.
Your Drug Latest Shortages: Enalapril 5mg tablets are out of stock until the end of April. If asked, suggest people halve 10mg tablets. Irbesartan 150/ hydrochlorothiazide 12.5mg OOS until May. Consider prescribing irbesartan 150mg with bendroflumethiazide 2.5mg or a fixed dose combo of another angiotensin II blocker with hydrochlorothiazide.
CHIS: Following a discussion between CHIS and NHSE Screening and Immunisation co-ordinators, it was agreed that CHIS would conduct a parent survey to canvas opinion on the current child Immunisation invitation letter and a new version that includes more information on immunisation due dates. The survey will be sent directly to randomly selected parents/carers and will include options to respond via mail or e-mail. It is hoped that this will maximise responses without having any impact on practices.
CHIS will update practices following this consultation.
Workforce Webinar ARRS 1st April: There are places still available to join the LMC and Training hub.
This webinar will help us all in general practice to be able to answer the key questions:
- How well is ARRS meeting its aims to increase capacity in general practice and introduce new ways of working and providing care?
- What are the roles now covered by ARRS?
- What difference are the MSK physios, social prescribing link workers, clinical pharmacists, care coordinators and others making already to patients and populations?
- How will the addition of paramedics and mental health practitioners work?
- What can our practices, teams and professionals do to make the most of ARRS?
- How are all these new role workers being supported
Invitation to Advanced Clinical Practitioner Degree Apprenticeship - Introductory session - University of Exeter: Further to the SGPET update this week, candidates who have or still wish to express an interest in the ACP apprenticeship will need to contact Exeter university directly, please contact Elaine Pavelle E.K.F.Pavelle@exeter.ac.uk. Once accepted, practices that want access to the levy transfer will then need to contact Krissie.email@example.com (Training Hub Education facilitator)
Candidates are welcome to join a one hour presentation that will present the outline of the Advanced Clinical Practitioner Degree Apprenticeship to individuals and employers who have expressed an interest in the programme the session will be held on Wednesday 14th April, 15:30 – 16:30. The invite will be sent from Elaine Pavelle this will also allow for any questions.
Crown Medical Centre, Venture Way, Taunton, TA2 8QY
Tel: (01823) 331 428
Fax: (01823) 338 561
We have updated our privacy policies on both the Somerset LMC and Somerset GP Education trust websites.