SGPET COVID 19 Weekly Update - 22 June 2020
Date sent: Monday 22 June 2020
NEWS/UPDATE BOARD - This and past updates can be found here
- Receptionist Training Slides - CHIS have developed some training slides for receptionists in response to a request for support on how we might reduce the number of children being turned away when they attend for immunisation too early.
- New - First Contact Physiotherapists Preparation Guide, This has been developed by the MSK FCP team at Somerset NHS Foundation Trust in collaboration with Dr Bridget Carne of Somerset Training Hub. The guide includes many recourses, helpful documents and video recordings to help address your learning needs, to view please see here on our website.
Resources for GP's & others in similar roles
- Paediatrics Study Session 17th June Resources, presentations and a recording of one of the sessions is now available for you to view, via the course page. Please note you do need to be logged in to view these.
- GP/PCP Evening Meetings this week:
Resources for Practice Nurse & others in similar roles
- Tuesday 23 June 12-2pm, David Long available to take calls via his mobile for any Respiratory advice or queries you have 07525468023
- Managing Breathlessness in primary care and when/where to refer (Emily Johnstone, Senior respiratory physiotherapist MPH) (REMOTE VIA ZOOM) 25 June 1-2pm, please book via courses list below.
- Next Lead Nurse Meeting, 7th July 2-3.30pm, please book via courses list below.
- Joint LMC/CCG Lead Nurse Support and IPC Meetings - Somerset CCG and Somerset LMC are working collaboratively to support IPC training and guidance for Lead Nurses by offering monthly zoom meetings. 11th August, 15th September, 6th October, 3rd November and the 15th December 2-4pm (via zoom). CQC inspections are essential to ensure that practices are compliant with The Code of Practice and ensure that patients receive safe and effective care. CQC approve of practices working collaboratively with the CCG. This is an exciting opportunity for us to work together.
Due to Covid-19 face to face IPC training is not yet possible and the information and guidance is fluid. We have agreed to deliver 'bite sized' IPC training and guidance over the next few months which will include all aspects of IPC including audits and risk assessments. Lead Nurses should attend these meetings and if this is not possible we would like a representative from every practice as the meetings will have ongoing information as the situation changes in primary care over the next few months.To book any of these dates please visit our courses page.
- Message from School Aged Immunisation Nursing Team - ' We are beginning our catch up nf missed school imms this week, we are starting with the remainder of the HPV programme and intend to catch up the DTP and MenACWY over the summer holidays so please reassure anyone that young people will be offered appointments with us very shortly and we would ask practices not to invite those in our cohort in to clinics please'
New Contact for UWE CPD courses/funded places for 2020/2021- As you are aware Annie Paddock has been the contact for primary care for the UWE CPD contract i.e. for NMP, PACR, Diabetes and Asthma courses etc. This is to confirm that as from 22nd June 2020 the Somerset Training Hub/LMC will take over the management of the funding and allocations for 2020-2021 as it will be aligned with other HEE CPD funding opportunities for primary care staff about to be announced. Your new contact will be Carol.email@example.com .
Annie has shared the requests already received from practices and details of those on the waiting list with Carol. As soon as there is further information and guidance from UWE on this years courses available and their method of delivery you will be informed but should you have queries in the meantime please contact Carol or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Somerset LMC Nurse Advisor, Paula Messenger email@example.com
Somerset LMC Respiratory Adviser, David Long firstname.lastname@example.org
- This weeks article from Andrew Tressidder - New Wonder Pill , the Benefits of Sleep.
- Somerset Emotional Wellbeing (SEW) podcast - In this episode, our hosts Dr. Andrew Tresidder and Dr. Peter Bagshaw use their expertise to discuss how we adapt to change as we enter the new normal.
The next episode of SEW, Spirituality and Wellbeing, will be available to listen to free from the 23rd of June
SGPET COVID 19 online education
|24/06/20||Immunisation Update for Practice Nurses (REMOTE VIA ZOOM), SGPET & Training
|25/06/20||Managing Breathlessness in primary care and when/where to refer (Emily Johnstone, Senior respiratory physiotherapist MPH) (REMOTE VIA ZOOM)||Link|
|25/06/20||Primary Care Clinical Practitioners discussion group, Topic - What to do with a high blood pressure (Paramedics, ECPs, NPs and pharmacists seeing acute Presentations in General Practice (REMOTE VIA ZOOM)
Mr Piotr Zak
|30/06/20||HCA Immunisation Update (REMOTE ZOOM SESSION) (SGPET & Training)
|02/07/20||Sessional/Locum GP Education Meeting - Obesity and its management, Dr Rhodri King (Endocrinologist and Obesity Specialist)(Remote via Zoom)||Link|
|07/07/20||Lead Nurse Support/Discussion Group (Remote via Zoom)||Link|
|08/07/20||Contraception & Sexual Health - ST1/ST2 Multidisciplinary Study Day (SGPET & Training) Hopefully running via Zoom more details TBA||Link|
|09/07/20||Mendip First 5 - New GP Discussion Group - Journal Club (Remote via Zoom)
Dr John Machling Journal Club
|16/07/20||Basic Family Planning (VIA ZOOM)
Dr Karen Sylvester
|23/07/20||COVID and breathlessness - Not all coughs are COVID (Dr Steve Holmes, GP Shepton Mallet) (REMOTE VIA ZOOM)||Link|
|Anytime sessions and tutorials||Link|
|EOL Series (01) - Summary of the overall strategy for end of life care in Somerset during Covid 19 (Anytime Slide Presentation)||Link|
|EOL Series (02) Treatment Escalation Planning Conversations COVID 19 (Anytime online tutorial and slide set)||Link|
|EOL Series (03) Assessment and Decisions about Admission for suspected Covid-19 (Anytime video tutorial and downloadable slide-set)||Link|
|EOL Series (04) Managing key symptoms in patients who are unwell with COVID-19 and remain in the community (Anytime Slide Presentation)
Dr Kate Shorthose
|EOL Series (05) How to give a subcutaneous injection. For family carers and non-registered professionals. St. Margaret’s Hospice Care ( Anytime online video tutorial)||Link|
|EOL Series (06) Syringe pumps, the management of palliative care patient in the community and Covid-19 St. Margaret’s Hospice Care. (Anytime online tutorial)||Link|
|EOL Series (07) Caring for the dying person: End of Life Care COVID-19 (Anytime online tutorial and slide set)||Link|
|EOL Series (08) Verification of Expected Death in the community during Covid-19. (Anytime instructional video).||Link|
|EOL Series (09) After death care in Somerset ( Anytime slide set presentation for downloading)||Link|
|EOL Series (10) Caring Has A Cost - Health and Self-Care for Health and Care Professionals (Anytime online presentation and downloadable slide set)||Link|
|HCA Immunisation Update (REMOTE ZOOM SESSION) (SGPET & Training)
|Looking after your Professional Health Part 1- lessons in self care with Dr Andrew Tresidder for everyone working in health and care (Anytime video presentation and downloadable slide-set)||Link|
|Looking after your Professional Health Part 2- further lessons in self care with Dr Andrew Tresidder for everyone working in health and care (Anytime video presentation and downloadable slide-set)||Link|
|Rapid Induction Into Telephone Triage COVID 19 (Anytime video tutorial)||Link|
|Setting up or improving your Document Workflow system in your practice (Anytime Tutorial)
Dr Daniel Berrio-Galan
|Telephone Triage during Covid-19 - Case scenarios for online learning||Link|
|Telephone Triage Step 1- Preparation and Planning - April 2020 (Anytime video tutorial and slide-set)
Dr Andy Eaton
|Telephone Triage Step 2 – Building & Maintaining Rapport - April 2020 ( Anytime video tutorial and slide-set)||Link|
|Telephone Triage Step 3 - Assess the Clinical Problem & Risks - April 2020 (Anytime video tutorial and slide-set)||Link|
|Telephone Triage Step 4 – Make a Diagnosis and Actions (Anytime online tutorial and slide-set)||Link|
|Telephone Triage Step 5 – Safety Netting Document and Self Care (Anytime online tutorial and slide-set)||Link|
Somerset GP Education Trust
Crown Medical Centre
Taunton, TA2 8QY