SGPET COVID 19, Weekly Update, Mon 4 May 2020
Date sent: Monday 4 May 2020
NEWS/UPDATE BOARD - This and past updates can be found here
All that coughs is not Covid gives advice from Dt Steve Holmes , Shepton Mallet GP and education lead for the UK’s Primary Care Respiratory Society, about how to assess the respiratory impact of Covid and how to distinguish it and the problems it causes from other respiratory infections such as bacterial pneumonia. You may have already read this article from the link in last Friday’s LMC update but if not read it now.
One thing Steve mentions is the reports from clinicians dealing with Covid patients of silent hypoxia and David Long, the LMC Respiratory Advisor and Respiratory Nurse Consultant has written an article to further raise awareness about Silent Hypoxia.
Somerset Covid-19 Rapid Training Guide This guide is designed to help you identify your learning needs and then access the resources New addition - 'Use EMIS to carry out and record remote consultations'
Resources for GP's & others in similar roles
- Taunton First 5 Discussion Group, Wednesday 20th May 2020 19.30- (Remotely via Zoom) to book please find link below in SGPET events list.
End of Life during Covid-19, Treatment Escalation Planning:
- There are stiil places on tomorrow and next week’s one hour webinars - “ Top TEP Tips on what might work and what to avoid” Tuesday 5th May 12-1pm repeated on Tuesday 12th May 12-1pm Live online webinar Zoom education session with Dr Janet Gillett, Dr Tom McConnell consultant cardiologist and GP Dr Kate Staveley. Please email: ECHO@st-margarets-hospice.org.uk to sign up and receive the session log in details. Limited to 20 places per session. Further webinar sessions will be made available depending on demand.
- Lots of you are using the series of online presentations and tutorials about End of Life Care with over 300 visiting the Managing Symptoms page. However, only 50 have visited “Assessment and Decisions about Admission “ - which is a pity because it really is very relevant and practical.
- We know that not all parts of Somerset are covered by St Margaret's Hospice. Dorothy House Hospice has recorded a webinar which was aimed at nursing and care home staff but has lots of content useful to us all and has links to a number of their helpful resources.
- Electronic Repeat Dispensing in Care Homes Care providers need support in coping with the impact of Covid 19. One way that general practice can help is by reducing the workload care homes have associated with prescriptions. Introducing Electronic Repeat Dispensing can do just that and bring important benefits in efficiency, workload and patient safety to practices and community pharmacies at the same time. Further details here
Resources for Practice Nurse & others in similar roles
- Lead Nurse Support/Discussion Group (Remote meeting via Zoom) Tuesday 12 May, 2pm-3pm, you are now able to book a place via the link in below list of SGPET events.
- Cervical Screening Survey: please find attached guidance.
- Cervical Screening Guidance for sample taking
- Cervical screening questionnaire – the aim of the survey is to map current cervical screening provision in the South West.
- PPE guidance from Public Health England can be found here
For any queries or question regarding the guidance or questionnaires, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The RCN has just published this uniform guidance. It covers all workplaces but does mention General Practice and Community. Message from Paula Messenger - This has some useful advice however it states that nurses should not accept garments made by the general public. I would disagree so long as the scrubs are made from material which can withstand washing at high temperature and tumble drying.
- Nurse training - We are hoping to arrange online and virtual training in the near future, we will inform you of what becomes available via this update. However if there is anything specific you feel would be helpful, please let us know.
Somerset LMC Nurse Advisor, Paula Messenger email@example.com
Somerset LMC Respiratory Adviser, David Long firstname.lastname@example.org
In this week’s article - Foundations of Health Dr Andrew Tresidder looks at some of the important determinants of health that are particularly important for us to consider now. These include sleep, diet, vitamin C and Vitamin D. There is a link to the growing series of BMJ articles considering the role of Vitamin D in the increased impact of Covid on BAME individuals.
SGPET COVID 19 online education
|12/05/20||Lead Nurse Support/Discussion Group (Remote via Zoom)||Link|
|20/05/20||Taunton First 5 New GP Discussion Group (Remote via Zoom)
Dr Rachel Winter General Discussion Group
|30/05/20||Rapid Induction Into Telephone Triage COVID 19 (Anytime video tutorial)||Link|
|30/05/20||Telephone Triage Step 1- Preparation and Planning - April 2020 (Anytime video tutorial and slide-set)
Dr Andy Eaton
|30/05/20||Telephone Triage Step 3 - Assess the Clinical Problem & Risks - April 2020 (Anytime video tutorial and slide-set)||Link|
|30/05/20||Telephone Triage Step 2 – Building & Maintaining Rapport - April 2020 ( Anytime video tutorial and slide-set)||Link|
|30/05/20||Looking after your Professional Health Part 1- lessons in self care with Dr Andrew Tresidder for everyone working in health and care (Anytime video presentation and downloadable slide-set)||Link|
|30/05/20||Looking after your Professional Health Part 2- further lessons in self care with Dr Andrew Tresidder for everyone working in health and care (Anytime video presentation and downloadable slide-set)||Link|
|30/05/20||Telephone Triage Step 4 – Make a Diagnosis and Actions (Anytime online tutorial and slide-set)||Link|
|30/05/20||Telephone Triage Step 5 – Safety Netting Document and Self Care (Anytime online tutorial and slide-set)||Link|
|31/05/20||EOL Series (04) Managing key symptoms in patients who are unwell with COVID-19 and remain in the community (Anytime Slide Presentation)
Dr Kate Shorthose
|31/05/20||EOL Series (01) - Summary of the overall strategy for end of life care in Somerset during Covid 19 (Anytime Slide Presentation)||Link|
|31/05/20||EOL Series (06) Syringe pumps, the management of palliative care patient in the community and Covid-19 St. Margaret’s Hospice Care. (Anytime online tutorial)||Link|
|31/05/20||EOL Series (09) After death care in Somerset ( Anytime slide set presentation for downloading)||Link|
|31/05/20||EOL Series (05) How to give a subcutaneous injection. For family carers and non-registered professionals. St. Margaret’s Hospice Care ( Anytime online video tutorial)||Link|
|31/05/20||EOL Series (02) Treatment Escalation Planning Conversations COVID 19 (Anytime online tutorial and slide set)||Link|
|31/05/20||EOL Series (07) Caring for the dying person: End of Life Care COVID-19 (Anytime online tutorial and slide set)||Link|
|31/05/20||EOL Series (08) Verification of Expected Death in the community during Covid-19. (Anytime instructional video).||Link|
|31/05/20||EOL Series (03) Assessment and Decisions about Admission for suspected Covid-19 (Anytime video tutorial and downloadable slide-set)||Link|
|31/05/20||EOL Series (10) Caring Has A Cost - Health and Self-Care for Health and Care Professionals (Anytime online presentation and downloadable slide set)||Link|