SGPET COVID 19, Weekly Update, Mon 27 April 2020
Date sent: Monday 27 April 2020
NEWS/UPDATE BOARD - This and past updates can be found here
- Somerset Covid-19 Rapid Training Guide Everyone has a lot of learning to do to feel confident in the new skills and understanding required by Covid-19. This guide is designed to help you identify your learning needs and then access the resources that will be most helpful in addressing them.
- Regular scientific updates about Covid Over the coming months, COVID Reference, edited by a group of medical authors, will be presenting regular updates and narrating the scientific data as coherently as possible - to see the latest version, click title link. This includes Daily Top 10 Papers.
- Giving advice to colleagues Adult Care Providers about Covid-19 This page on the Somerset Safeguarding Adults Board website contains updated national and local information, advice, guidance and resources about Covid-19 for adult care providers in Somerset.
- Skills for Care have a range of updated resources, guidance and information that may be useful for care homes and domiciliary care relating to Covid-19 and that it might be useful to signpost to colleagues in care.
Resources for GP's & others in similar roles
- Telephone Triage - SGPET online learning resources Crewkerne GP and OOH doctor, Andy Eaton, has now completed his six online tutorials about telephone triage and consultation. You will not find anything better anywhere else. Rapid Induction is a stand- alone session and the five steps give a lot more useful detail.
- Taking TEP in the right direction sTEP by sTEP training in holding conversations by phone. Somerset EOL Series (02) Treatment Escalation Planning Conversations COVID 19. A 19 minute online tutorial from Dr Janet Gillett, St Margaret’s Palliative Care Consultant that you can view anytime.
- One hour webinars - “ Top TEP Tips on what might work and what to avoid” Tuesday 5th May 12-1pm repeated on Tuesday 12th May 12-1pm. Live online webinar Zoom education session with Dr Janet Gillett, Dr Tom McConnell consultant cardiologist and GP Dr Kate Staveley. Please email: ECHO@st-margarets-hospice.org.uk to sign up and receive the session log in details. Limited to 20 places per session, further webinar sessions will be made available depending on demand.
- Taunton First 5 Discussion Group 20th May 2020- This group will be starting their evenings meetings again, remotely, first date the 20 May 2020. Details on how to book and join virtually will be sent out in next weeks update.
Resources for Practice Nurse & others in similar roles
- Guide for Practice Nurse/Nurse Teams - Very useful advice how the general practice nurse team can be working at the moment - both in relation to Covid but importantly about continuing day to day services - if in different ways.
- Remote Lead Nurse meetings. As it is unlikely face to face meetings will resume for awhile yet we thought you may like to have a Lead Nurse Meeting that could be held via Zoom. Paula Messenger would be happy to facilitate if there is the interest and need. If you would be interested in this please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nurse training - We are hoping to arrange online and virtual training in the near future, we will inform you of what becomes available via this update. However if there is anything specific you feel would be helpful, please let us know.
Somerset LMC Nurse Advisor, Paula Messenger email@example.com
Somerset LMC Respiratory Adviser, David Long firstname.lastname@example.org
This week, in the linked article Dr Andrew Tresidder explains how helpful the Drama Triangle can be in understanding and managing some of the challenging interactions we are all having right now.
You can also watch Andrew talking about this as part of his SGPET online presentation - Looking after your Professional Health Part 2
SGPET COVID 19 online education
|30/05/20||Rapid Induction Into Telephone Triage COVID 19 (Anytime video tutorial)||Link|
|30/05/20||Telephone Triage Step 1- Preparation and Planning - April 2020 (Anytime video tutorial and slide-set)
Dr Andy Eaton
|30/05/20||Telephone Triage Step 3 - Assess the Clinical Problem & Risks - April 2020 (Anytime video tutorial and slide-set)||Link|
|30/05/20||Telephone Triage Step 2 – Building & Maintaining Rapport - April 2020 ( Anytime video tutorial and slide-set)||Link|
|30/05/20||Looking after your Professional Health Part 1- lessons in self care with Dr Andrew Tresidder for everyone working in health and care (Anytime video presentation and downloadable slide-set)||Link|
|30/05/20||Looking after your Professional Health Part 2- further lessons in self care with Dr Andrew Tresidder for everyone working in health and care (Anytime video presentation and downloadable slide-set)||Link|
|30/05/20||Telephone Triage Step 4 – Make a Diagnosis and Actions (Anytime online tutorial and slide-set)||Link|
|30/05/20||Telephone Triage Step 5 – Safety Netting Document and Self Care (Anytime online tutorial and slide-set)||Link|
|31/05/20||EOL Series (04) Managing key symptoms in patients who are unwell with COVID-19 and remain in the community (Anytime Slide Presentation)
Dr Kate Shorthose
|31/05/20||EOL Series (01) - Summary of the overall strategy for end of life care in Somerset during Covid 19 (Anytime Slide Presentation)||Link|
|31/05/20||EOL Series (06) Syringe pumps, the management of palliative care patient in the community and Covid-19 St. Margaret’s Hospice Care. (Anytime online tutorial)||Link|
|31/05/20||EOL Series (09) After death care in Somerset ( Anytime slide set presentation for downloading)||Link|
|31/05/20||EOL Series (05) How to give a subcutaneous injection. For family carers and non-registered professionals. St. Margaret’s Hospice Care ( Anytime online video tutorial)||Link|
|31/05/20||EOL Series (02) Treatment Escalation Planning Conversations COVID 19 (Anytime online tutorial and slide set)||Link|
|31/05/20||EOL Series (07) Caring for the dying person: End of Life Care COVID-19 (Anytime online tutorial and slide set)||Link|
|31/05/20||EOL Series (08) Verification of Expected Death in the community during Covid-19. (Anytime instructional video).||Link|
|31/05/20||EOL Series (03) Assessment and decisions about place of care for those with suspected Covid-19 (Anytime video tutorial and downloadable slide-set)||Link|
|31/05/20||EOL Series (10) Caring Has A Cost - Health and Self-Care for Health and Care Professionals (Anytime online presentation and downloadable slide set)||Link|
Someret GP Education Trust
Somerset GP Education Trust
Crown Medical Centre
Taunton, TA2 8QY
Mobile: 07833 400 960
Tel: (01823) 331 428