SGPET COVID 19 Weekly Update, Mon 6 April 2020
Date sent: Monday 6 April 2020
NEWS/UPDATE BOARD - This and past updates can be found here
COVID-19 rapid guideline: managing suspected or confirmed pneumonia in adults in the community. NICE guideline [NG165] Published date: 03 April 2020 https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng165 It only runs to five on line pages with links to a useful range of other practical resources including a concise visual summary for remote consultations.
Somerset LMC has now arranged Support Calls for Somerset Practice Managers, for further information click here 7th/14th/16th/21st/23rd April
We have now created a web page for National COVID 19 Online Education which you may find helpful. The link to this is at the bottom of this and future updates.
Resources for GPs & others in similar roles
- The second of Crewkerne GP Andy Eaton’s online tutorials about telephone triage - Preparation and Planning (link below)
- Managing key symptoms in patients who are unwell with COVID-19 and remain in the community (Anytime Slide Presentation) by Dr Kate Shorthose, Somerset Palliative care consultant is one of a series of online presentations aimed at helping you and your colleagues understand and implement different parts of the Somerset Covid-19 strategy for end of life. There are more on the way. (link below)
Resources for Practice Nurse & others in similar roles
- Smear Testing - As practices prioritise their workload we have been asked for guidance regarding smears: Smears should be offered to all persons who have had previous high risk changes, are on more frequent recalls and have had treatment to the cervix. For low risk persons, if possible could be done, but are not a priority as practices as asked to limit face to face contact to essential only.
- New online tutorials in Telephone Triage and Palliative Care in below sessions list.
Somerset LMC Nurse Advisor, Paula Messenger firstname.lastname@example.org
Somerset LMC Respiratory Adviser, David Long email@example.com
Professional Wellbeing - Looking after self and others
Keeping in touch with colleagues is particularly important now. Link Up in Lockdown is an invitation to all GPs to join one of a number of new online groups being set up across Somerset colleagues by Tim Taylor of the GP Career Plus scheme. These new groups are for GPs at all stages of their careers, they will be facilitated and allow sharing of help, support, advice and resources. The technology is easy, travel time is dramatically reduced and the chairs are much more comfortable than at our usual meeting venues. Download the attachment and express your interest - it really is a good idea.
SGPET are planning similar Link up in Lockdown online groups for Practice Nurses and PCPs.
Keep Calm and Carry On - is the third brief article from Dr Andrew Tresidder and yet again is full of practical advice, tips and recommended resources
SGPET COVID 19 Online Education
- Summary of the overall strategy for end of life care in Somerset during COVID 19 (Anytime Slide Presentation) (01)
- Managing key symptoms in patients who are unwell with COVID 19 and remain in the community (Anytime Slide Presentation) (02)
- Rapid Induction Into Telephone Triage COVID 19 (Anytime Video Tutorial)
- Telephone Triage -Preparation and Planning COVID 19 (nytime Video Tutorial)
Somerset GP Education Trust
Crown Medical Centre
Taunton, TA2 8QY